February 7, 2011

(Re)Finished Frame

Today we are featuring a simple (re)Finished project that can update your decor in a little over an hour!  Anyone can do this.  

The culprit is a simple old maroon and gold frame that was actually still sitting in my living room...I know SAD.  (Ok so we forgot to take a before shot...but here is one exactly like the one we (re)Finished but it is all Gold).  



To (re)Finish an old frame and give it an up to date look.
1.  Spray on two coats of white spray primer.  Wait approximately 10 minutes between each coat.  When finished it should be a dry chalky consistency.

2.    Spray 2-3 light coats of White Gloss spray paint.   Again waiting for it to dry between each coat.  I also love using black spray paint to update frames and accessories.

3.  Then the fun begins when you start antiquing...to add a little character. :)  For this project I used Antique Gold Rub `n Buff. 

This is what the package looks like and I usually buy it at Hobby Lobby.

The unopened bottle below is the actual color I used (Antique Gold).

4.  I applied the Rubb `n Buff with my finger but I am sure you could use a brush too.  I applied a VERY SMALL amount and just rubbed on areas that I wanted to highlight.  This stuff goes a LONG way...I think one tube will antique my entire house!!!  =)

This is the finished project...





3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love the gold antiquing in the detail.
    ~Mary
    www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Rub'n Buff, can't wait to give it a try though! :-) The frame looks wonderful, thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this tutorial! I have an antique mirror that needs a little TLC, this antiquing technique will be the perfect touch! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to following your posts

    Thank you again for stopping by,
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete